Thursday, February 15, 2007

Flirting with Manvaasanai...

These days flirting has become quite common place..after all it makes you happy, boosts your ego and takes u to a dreamland..

Can flirting be artistic? after all flirting is not a taboo !!

Y not, if artists decide to do..I am talking about artists like

Shivaji, Radha, Ilayaraja,Bharathiraja, Vairamuthu, Malaysia Vasudevan & Janaki..

U guessed it right "Mudhal mariyaadai"...

The sweet song "Poongaatru thirumbumaa"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vDGkPsvl0Zc

Situation: Ponnatha (Vadivukarasi), a witch-like character torments Shivaji, a soft and kind hearted guy. She never shares bed with him, though he married her to give an initial to her daughter, born through some other guy..One fine day Shivaji, vents out his frustration to nature..when "Raadha as Kuyilu" goes by and responds...See how they "invite, respond, cajole, love, introduce,identify, express their happines, get feedback about their meeting etc etc"..through these lines !!!!

poongaatru thirumbumaa en paatta virumbumaa
thaalaatta madiyil vechchup paaraatta
enakkoru thaay madi kedaikkumaa

Shivaji: Will those good old sweet days come and will I ever get to experience love in my life

raasaavae varuththamaa aagaayam surungumaa
aengaadhae adha olagam thaangaadhae
adukkumaa sooriyan karukkumaa

Radha: Sure the day will come dont worry, u are too great..to be ebbed by these small things

enna solluvaen ennullam thaangala
meththa vaanginaen thookkaththa vaangala

Shivaji: Tells the secret & sadness in his life

indha vaedhana yaarukkuththaan illa
onna meeravae oorukkul aalilla

Radha : u r great

aedhoa enbaattukku naan paattup paadi
sollaadha soagaththa sonnaenadi

Shivaji: I donno, how, i blurted out the secret & sadness of my life casually..

soga raga soagandhaanae (2)

Radha: Ofcourse, the sweet tunes are sad...

yaaradhu poaradhu

Shivaji: Hey, who is that?

kuyil paadalaam than mugam kaattumaa

Radha: Birds sing, do they show their face..
( Perfect is nt it )

(poongaatru)

ulla azhuguraen veliya sirikkiraen
nalla vaeshandhaan veluththu vaanguraen

Shivaji: I am an actor, I cry inside but laugh outside

unga vaeshandhaan konjam maaranum
enga saamikku magudam aeranum

Radha: May be u shud change..

maanae en nenjukkup paal vaarththa thaenae
munnae en paarvaikku vaavaa pennae

Shivaji: Hey how did u tell what I felt like..who are u?

esap paattu padichchaen naanae

Radha: It s me..

poonguyil yaaradhu

Shivaji: Who s the singing bird?


konjam paarunga pen kuyil naanunga


Radha: See here, it s me..the lady bird..

adi needhaanaa andhak kuyil
yaar veettu sondhak kuyil
aaththaadi manasukkulla kaaththaadi
parandhadhae olagamae marandhadhae

Shivaji: I see..u r the one..r u married?..hey
it was great talking to u..I forgot the world..

naandhaanae andhak kuyil
thaanaaga vandhak kuyil
aaththaadi manasukkulla kaaththaadi
parandhadhaa olagandhaan marandhadhaa

Radha: Ya it was me..I am alone !!
Oh was that gud..Gud that u felt gud..
( I am also happy )

Master piece man..Master piece......!!!

8 comments:

Andy_Chn said...

First of all its a commendable job by u...itzzz truly an amazing song...kindda u have to come off age to understand this movie/song...and the reason for his sadness/frustration is not mainly bed but the lack of love from the better half...

Akash said...

Well, I had come across this movie, when I was perhaps in my highschool. The songs by Illayaraja(??) have stayed on.....was mesmerised...never understood the meaning...my insufficient Tamil didn't help matters.

Now, it sounds great!
Though wud prefer some other font color.....itz some jing-jack color....and my eyes haven't recovered!!!

At some point, I would like to see people weave such scripts with pictures....get urself a good camera!!!

Good job.

shankar ganesh J said...

Dai vetti.. Guess u didnt get much wrk from ur profs.. :)

I loved the tune for this song.. but didnt track the lyrics. But looking at translations really shows how our poets used their talents for flirting ;)

Mayb u can use this translated version with a swizz gal wen u get a chance next time :P

dakaltiz said...

As u know i never follow d lyrics of the songs hw good thier tunes are da..thx to this wonderful write up ... really amazing to c such a meaning in those simple lines...All kudos to maestro thala...for his perfect orchestration of the song.. A evergreen song it is!
well After readin this ..it makes me want to go at this song on the keys da... good 1..

@Shankar....
dei nee onnum sari illa...anna na usupethite iruka.... koode neeyum ushaar pannalaamnu paakraa...dineshe...ivana thatti vai da ;))

dakaltiz said...

Initially when i saw the post's title..I thot itz gonna be a review on the other wonderful film "Manvasanai"..may be u shd come up with a similar write up for "Pothi vacha Malliga Mottu" from manvasani... keep writin more such stuff da....;))

Unknown said...

Good write up. Though I do not completely agree that the theme is flirting.I would say "Andha nelavathaan" from the same movie more of a flirting song than this one.

Vino said...

Hi, Nice work.
Actually I do not like that movie,and have no listened to this lyrics.
After reading ur blog Really felt its a good song.Nice translation!

Vino said...

May be I am commenting after years on this ...But just now I had a chance to read ur blog.
You have a good writing skills!